Resin.io - Web Technologies, meet hardware (by Alexandros Marinos)
- Hardware has long update cycles, while deployment on the web is easy
- Bins with screens (presumably http://renewlondon.com)
- JS-based setup
- 50x speed increase over last 7 years
- Embedded devices combine hardware and user interaction
- Allows quick code evolution
The first device is easy… how do you reach a large number of devices?
- Integrates different components (Docker, Node, Git, …)
- Deploy from git to device
- Download disk image and install it
- Device appears in dashboard
- Code is pushed from git to devices
Linux containers (Docker)
- Save space/bandwidth by sending diffs
- Rollback capability (can’t push changes that break the deploy system and leave the device unreachable)
NodeJS and Arduino (by Alex Roche)
What is an Arduino
- Open source microcontroller boards
- Receive and transmit current to electronic components
- Analogue: values between 0 and 1023
- PWM: values between 0 and 255 (pulse width modulation)
UX for your Node modules (by Rowan Manning)
- Npm has a huge number of modules, the barrier to create a module is very low
- People struggle to make decisions about what packages to use
- Make decision easier by providing key details
- Often and after-thought to modules
- Should answer these equesstions:
- What is this?
- What’s the current version?
- What platforms does it support? (Browser and Node versions)
- Build Status (Travis)
- Install (How do I install it)
- How do I use it?
- How to contribute (clone repo, run npm test, commit, pull request, …)
- Am I allowed to use it - licensing
- Is it still maintained?